Friday, April 12, 2013

Micro Hex update

I haven't posted an update in a while on my teensy hexagon river project. I started by cutting one strip of 11 paper templates, then cutting one fabric snippet, basting it, and sewing it on. One. At. A. Time. This did not go quickly. My new strategy is much different -- I have decided to do only one task at a time, so I have been alternating between cutting big piles of paper templates, rough cutting stacks of fabric hexagons, and basting the fabric onto the papers until I can't stand holding the needle anymore. My thinking behind this (other than working more efficiently) is that I will be able to arrange the different colors like a jigsaw puzzle to make a scene emerge. I am concentrating mostly on natural-colored batiks, but that runs a pretty broad gamut from rocky landscape to magenta sunset. I love moving back and forth from bright corals to forest greens. I have to confess, though, that combing through the quilt shop trash cans for even the scantest scraps (even smaller than an inch square!!) is making me feel like a quilting hobo. I got my camera back yesterday so I'm finally able to share a photo of what I've got so far:
The micro-hex river landscape is starting to shape up!

No comments:

Post a Comment