Friday, February 7, 2014

Scrapbusting (like a boss)

This is the sorry state of my vaguely color-sorted bins of scrap fabric:

Red. Also pink. And some purple. Plus other stuff jammed in as well. Gross.
I'm taking a very harsh look at these jumbled messes. Life is too short to use ugly fabrics, so as I sort through, I am throwing away the bits of really low-end fabrics that have survived from my previous (non-quilting) life, and placing everything that I don't like (read: traditional shirting calicos, Americana prints, 30s repros, cabbage roses, etc.) in a bag to share with whoever wants it. At the same time, I'm folding the larger chunks (more than a fat eighth) and pressing the tiny bits and chopping them into usable segments. I'm cutting strips of 1 1/2", 2", 2 1/2", and 3 1/2" widths (these are the good widths for using the Hex n More ruler).
Tamed strips, ready to use
I'm also cutting charm squares, building a nice pile of tiny tumbler units (yeah yeah, I'm nuts like that), refilling my tableside bin of postage stamps, and starting collections of 1, 2, 3, 4, & 6" triangles.
The tiny tumblers finish REALLY small
 While I'm doing this, I'm also stacking up colorful piles to use for a 60-degree scrap quilt.
colorful scraps -- so pretty in the morning sunlight!
I made some really nice progress on the scrap project so far. I think I probably have done about half of what I need to end up with a good throw-size quilt:
Building this with no templates is such a fun process!
I'm purposely trying not to start any other projects until I have quilted a few of the tops that are already hanging upstairs, but I happened to notice a stack of 1 1/2" strips that looked so pretty together that I just couldn't wait to use them, so I made this "Mini Disco" project last night:
From Jaybird Quilt's "Mini Disco" pattern. 12 x 16"
I go through this futile attempt at scrap taming every winter, but this time I think I'm being a little more realistic about what I might actually ever use. The garbage and share bags are a lot fuller than they ever have been in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment