Monday, September 1, 2014

Gypsy Wife, Part 6

...in which the blocks are finished!

I had enough time to squeeze in one more stitchery marathon before my classes (and the boys' return from Camp All-Fun-All-The-Time-Grandparents). The gypsy blocks are done!! The assembly is going to be kind of a bear, but I'm up for the challenge. I want to finish the cutting this week so I can clear out my sewing area. I can't stand all the piles of fabric leaning and draping over every flat (and semi-flat) surface. I know "they say" that creativity is messy, but my left-brained self can only handle so much of it before I snap.

So, photos!

Square in a square with pinwheel centers (various sizes)

Gypsy Wife "Square in a Square with Pinwheel Centers" blocks

Bordered Square in a Square with Courthouse Steps (various sizes)

Gypsy Wife "Bordered Square in a Square" blocks

Square in a Square with Courthouse Steps (various sizes)

Gypsy Wife "Square in a Square with Courthouse Steps" larger blocks
Gypsy Wife "Square in a Square with Courthouse Steps" smaller blocks

Square in a Square in a Square (4" finished)

This one required a complete remake. The pattern called for the use of one of the small square-in-a-square blocks that I made yesterday, but when I added the third row of triangles and trimmed to 4 1/2", it was obvious that every one of the points would be cut off when I sewed it into the quilt. This is the Very Last Block. All of the others look very nice and very pointy. There was no way I could be happy with cutting off four points, even applying my typical "Can you see it from the back of a galloping horse?" metric. (Thanks, Lisa, for that one!) I drafted the whole thing out on paper and made a new one in less than ten minutes.
Gypsy Wife "Square in a square in a square" block
And that's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment