Thursday, July 24, 2014

Honeycomb finished

A week or so ago, while fishing a tennis ball out from under the couch (a fun game my dog plays with me, where she rolls and I fetch the ball), I found a wadded up heap of cotton that turned out to be my unfinished honeycomb project from my Modern Minis class earlier this year. Yikes! I let it hang for a few days to get rid of most of the wrinkles, then I spent a little time quilting it up. I started with curved flower of life lines using the walking foot. It felt unfinished, so I did a little freemotion filler within the "petals", then switched to a gold thread for the loopy quilting, inspired by the bee's waggle dance, in the background.
Finished honeycomb wallhanging. Pattern by Elizabeth Hartman.
Close-up of embroidery on honeycomb project. Design by Urban Threads.
Close-up of quilting on honeycomb quilt.
Close-up of quilting on honeycomb project.
 I finished the project with a sewn-in label featuring a Rilke quote:

We are continually overflowing toward those who preceded us, toward our origin, and toward those who seemingly come after us. ... It is our task to imprint this temporary, perishable earth into ourselves so deeply, so painfully and passionately, that its essence can rise again "invisibly," inside us. We are the bees of the invisible. We wildly collect the honey of the visible, to store it in the great golden hive of the invisible.
Words by Rilke. Quilt by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment