Tuesday, July 22, 2014

A Pair of Finishes

Last fall I fell in love with the Forest Floor line of fabric, which eventually turned into a mid-scale Lotus quilt. I probably put some photos on my Facebook page, but it never showed up here and since I just finished quilting and binding it, this seems as good a time as any. This is done with the 6" jewel shape, so each triangle is 10" high.
Finished Lotus quilt. 46 x 60"
I was very happy with the loopy quilting, done with my always-favorite Sulky Blendables in some lovely variegated browns.
Forest Floor Lotus quilt, close up of loopy quilting.
I always save the scraps when I'm using the Hex N More ruler, and (as I posted about already) the scraps of this quilt turned into a wonderful little coordinating wallhanging.
Save those Hex N More scraps! 19 x 26"
I did a little Google-based research (pretty serious stuff) and adjusted the name of the quilt. Apparently "pareidolia" is a specific type of false pattern recognition in which a particular (often human, often facial) image is "recognized," like the man in the moon. It's a subtype of the more general "apophenia," which refers to the human tendency to seek patterns in random information. That works well for this project, which I think looks like it could be (but isn't!) a Microsoft Tag. Plus, with the simple addition of a few letters, I've got a terrific (OK, slightly hokey) quilt name!
Scrapophenia!
 I've been stitching up a storm, so I have a lot more on the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment