Saturday, January 4, 2014

Celtic Solstice: Denouement

Thanks to a once-in-a-lifetime series of circumstances -- specifically sniffly children occupied with post-holiday gifts and vacation television, a husband who cooks, a snowstorm followed by an Arctic cold snap preventing anyone from going out, a first-Friday sewing night, and NFL playoffs -- what was only three days ago a box stuffed with 3" patchwork units is now a completed, and rather large, quilt top.

Bonnie generously uploaded the final set of directions at midnight on New Year's Eve. (No, I did not get started right away!) I started mid-day on Wednesday, and had all of the blocks assembled by Friday morning. I took them with me to Lisa's on Friday night and came home with seven separate rows. After lunch today, I sewed the rows together (finished: 2:00 pm), cut the inner borders and attached those (3:30), stitched the pieced border triangles and attached those (5:30 pm), then got the outer borders on using strips of both yellow and green (because, you know, scrappy) by the middle of the fourth quarter of the first playoff game!
Celtic Solstice scrap quilt, 76 x 76"

9 comments:

  1. Wow...you are amazing....it's beautiful....nice job and you will be soooo proud to display it on your bed....Wonderful....:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It consistently amazes me to see bits of my previous projects show up in scrap quilts like this. It's a treat for so many reasons! :)

      Delete
  2. Looks fantastic! Congrats on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like the yellow/green border!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I confess to loving a non-solid border, especially in a quilt that's intended to use up bits of whatever is available!

      Delete