Friday, January 10, 2014

Neutral Territory

I've had the Fairy Tale Lane quilt by Tula Pink floating around in my head for a while; the quilt as shown in her book is really bright and youthful:
"Fairy Tale Lane" quilt by Tula Pink
What I like most about "modern" quilt designs, including this one, is that they are really showcases for gorgeous modern fabrics. Bonnie Hunter says, "If it's still ugly, you just haven't cut it small enough." In my mind, the flip side of that is true for contemporary fabrics -- if you cut it too small, why bother buying it in the first place?

I like this particular quilt's concept of a village map, so I decided to use the Neutral Territory fabrics -- which I love love love -- to give it a more gritty urban look as opposed to the storybook village. I bought some quarter-yard cuts and added a few Stonehenge prints and some other odds and ends from the Strategic Fabric Reserves to build the blocks. I still have to choose a fabric for the dotted lines in the sashing, but I got the blocks all pieced last night while we watched The Core. NB: I'm a big fan of disaster movies, even bad disaster movies, but this one ... well, suffice it to say I won't be buying the Blu-Ray.
First blocks from my Fairy Tale Lane quilt.
Today is the boys' last day off of school, so I'll use my free time to make the sashing and see how much assembly I can accomplish. I'm sure the top will be finished by the end of the fourth playoff game of the weekend. My other weekend goals include binding the Nevermore runner, finishing another little hex project (photos to follow), and plugging away at the Tangerine Tango quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment