Thursday, January 23, 2014

Scrappy strip blocks

Sometime last year I cut a bunch of 2.5" strips to make a Scrappy Trip Around the World quilt, using the directions on Bonnie Hunter's very generous free list of scrap patterns. This has been the project that I've taken to shop sewing nights, so it has taken me a while to work my way through the 256 strips that I started with. Last night I finished the last of the 42 blocks, so now the task is to decide how to assemble them. Here are the choices:
Scrappy Trip Around the World, blocks all aligned parallel. Ho hum.
Scrappy Trip Around the World, blocks arranged in diamonds.
Scrappy Trip Around the World, blocks arranged in chevrons. 
Scrappy Trip Around the World, arranged as one classic TATW
Scrappy Trip Around the World, nine blocks twisted away from parallel
Scrappy Trip Around the World, twisted arrangement #2 (but with some mistakes)
Scrappy Trip Around the World, more complex (but regular) twisting arrangement. I think this is the winner!
Maybe something more random and chaotic will win in the end, but for now, I'm leaning toward that last arrangement. I like how it looks like the lines are spiraling into and out of one another in a quasi-labyrinthine fashion. Time to take these blocks down off the wall and get started with the t-shirt quilt that my friend has been waiting patiently for over the last few months.

I'm excited about tonight, when my journal art group meets to pass along our color books, after two winter-weather cancellations.

No comments:

Post a Comment